My Etsy Store

31 Dec 2015

2015/16 Happy Hogmanay to one and all.

Glad tidings one and all.

I hope everyone has had a lovely Christmas and had a good time with family and friends. For me, it has been a good Christmas but still feels hollow (to which I'm sure it'll be that way for a while). None the less as it is New Year's Eve here in the UK, I look back and hope that any of the bad stuff finally gets sorted at the beginning of the new Year so I can be able to live a life like my dad would have wanted.

As I think of all that has happened in the year I thought of what New Year truly means. As all would say it's the beginning of the year but in the Scottish tradition, it has slightly more meaning than that. Back in the old times of Scotland, Christmas wasn't celebrated and it was New years that was considered a celebration that brought many gifts, superstitions, food drink, and fire to the night. Although a lot of it has died out and has become more 'mainstream' it has still been kept as much as possible today in Scotland. If anyone would like to know more here is one of the links to the tradition of New Years' or "Hogmanay".  Scotland Did you Know about Hogmanay?

Reading up on the meaning of New Years' has brought me to tears a bit knowing this is part of my heritage has become nothing but another night or just one to "booze it up". But since the loss of my dad this year in February, I feel that it should be celebrated like it once was and with people who we love (if they're awake ;P ).

So in this little post, I wish to bring what I and my dad brought for each other, love, happiness, blessings, and good spirits.

Happy Hogsmanay yer bunch o' lovelies yer!

No comments:

Post a Comment